Bulletin Board‎ > ‎


posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:36 AM by Amar Bhatia

After a few weeks break, WGCC was eager to start the home stretch with a win against CCCC. CCCC has been a tough opponent in the past, but WGCC line up anticipated a good performance. With almost everyone at the ground on time and the ground prepped up for a thrilling game, WGCC won the toss and decided to bat first, in the hopes of putting a good score on board.

Dipen and Faraz started the proceedings for WGCC, and Faraz was quickly off to a brisk start with a huge six coming half way down the track. Dipen on the other hand started cautiously, but perished soon with his off stump knocked over by a good delivery from one of the CCCC opening bowlers. WGCC soon lost another wicket, and were 48/2 after a good start of 39/0. This brought Sinu (20) and Mayur (63) together for brief partnership, before Sinu lost his middle stump to an innocuous delivery leaving WGCC at 89/3. Damodar (7) was next to follow for a rare short stay at the crease. Mayur looked solid, and needed someone to play along at the other end. Amit (40) walking in next provided that support, and also upped the ante in scoring for WGCC with few boundaries, including a huge six over mid-wicket.

Although WGCC played along with run a ball, regular wickets from the opponents ensured that the final impetus never came. In the end, WGCC finished with 212/8, thanks mostly to some tight bowling from CCCC at the death overs.

WGCC looked confident to defend this just above par total, but CCCC opener Prashant had different ideas. He started off with a boundary over point and looked at ease against WGCC bowlers. Arpit from WGCC continued his knack of picking up early wickets, when he got dangerous Sai caught out at the covers region for a naught. Introduction of Mayur early in the power play produced another wicket and while Prashant continued to attack on the other end, WGCC managed to pick 2 more quick wickets, leaving CCCC ay 68/4 involving a brilliant run-out from Amit at point region. This brought Nitesh from CCCC to the crease, and he was immediately let off the first ball from Prashant, when Mayur failed to hold on to a regulation catch at 1st slip. After a brief resistance from CCCC batsmen, Damodar’s introduction immediately provided a breakthrough when he caught and bowled Prashant for a well-made 75, leaving CCCC for 104/5. Mayur then picked two more quick wickets to leave CCCC reeling at 115/7 and WGCC started off their celebrations a bit too early. Nitesh on the other hand started to open up a bit, and a rare off day in the field from WGCC meant we dropped atleast 4 catches for Nitesh, allowing CCCC to crawl back into the game. WGCC still felt they are in the hunt with CCCC needing more than run a ball, and three wickets remaining. Two consecutive expensive overs from Damodar and Mayur  where Nitesh and Rakesh looted 5 sixes and almost scored 45+ runs meant CCCC needed just 4 runs from the last 5 overs with 2 wickets remaining. WGCC kept fighting till the end, and managed to pick 2 quick wickets to level the game and secure a draw.

It was a thrilling game of cricket, and in the end both teams felt that they should have won the game when they had the chance.